Thursday, May 22, 2008

A Few Changes

If you're reading this blog, you may have noticed the utter lack of activity here in the last few months. First of all, I'm very sorry. Secondly, allow me to explain:

In the last few month, I've been working hard on completing a short film called "Cold October," which I directed. As we wrapped post-production on that film and got it into the hands of the company submitting it to film festivals for us, we launched pre-production on another short film, "Always Reaching." This wasn't something I'd planned on doing so quickly, but when opportunity presents itself, you're a fool if you don't take it. I am now cutting "Always Reaching." Between these two filmmaking ventures and work as a freelance videographer, little time has been left to write posts. 
My early posts on this blog have been focused on a discussion of cinema as a medium for encountering themes, ideas, spirituality, humanity, and philosophy in a unique and experiential way. I hope to keep up this discussion to some degree. But I also plan on changing the discussion presented here to some degree.

After a good conversation with a friend and fellow blogger recently, I became aware of an important approach I was not taking with my blog (which is likely part of the reason I haven't exactly been drawing in a crowd). Thus, I'm proposing a change to Cin-posium, an expansion of sorts: I'm going to be discussing not only the thematic/philosophical side of filmmaking, but the hands-on/technical work of being a filmmaker as well. I'll be talking about the process I have gone through on different films I've worked on, what I've learned, how filmmaking is changing, getting distribution, going to film festivals, coming up with ideas, and so forth.

From posts about which microphones to use, to overviews on an entire production, I hope to be discussing quite a bit. But this doesn't mean I'm abandoning my other posts with a more philosophical slant. I hope to keep those up periodically as well. But given time constraints and how long it usually takes me to write a good critical article about a film, and how quickly those articles seem to become "out of date," taking a more pragmatic approach to this blog might not be such a bad thing after all.

I hope you come back and keep reading and commenting. Sure, a particular article might not catch your interest, but maybe the next one will. Who knows. If nothing else, this should keep me writing, and keep me thinking of ways I can improve in my own filmmaking process and technical awareness.

No comments: